Saturday, January 17, 2009

We Are Here ! ! ! ! ! ! !


So we are finally here, The picture here is the first one taken of the whole group, before nearly 24 hours of travel and a seven hour time shift.
Please understand that we don't look nearly this good now, we are all beyond tired, but we are all in good health and very excited to be here.
My first impressions of Egypt are sort of disjointed right now as we are all running on very limited sleep, but here's what I've noticed so far. When we flew over the dessert and landed in Cario the first thought I had was that even the sky seemed different here: that the clouds and even the air seemed to have the faintest red and yellow tints to it. I keep thinking that the clouds looked like they were made from the sand. The weather is amazing, warm and a little windy.
We have been warmly welcomed by Osama Iskander, our guide, who gave all the women in the group a rose when we landed. (Note that he only gave them to the women, not to Dr. Grafton or Gary.)
In the short ride from the airport I counted no less then five Islamic mosques and we heard the call to prayer tonight, which I find very beautiful. Egypt so far is wonderful. Tomorrow we are going to see the Giza pyramids and other ancient sites. I can't believe I'm going to stand before something that has been here since before Christ was born. I can't help but be moved by how big this world is and how much wonder there is in it. I'm so honored to be here and see this. I'm so excited for tomorrow, it's a good thing I'm so tired or else I might not sleep. This is a great group of people and I truely believe that we are at the begining of a wonderful expriance together and I can't wait share it with all of you back home. Stay tuned for more wonderful and exciting insights from Egypt from people whose thoughts will hopefully be more organized then this after we will have rested.

Blessings and Peace
Megan Crouch

No comments: